Thursday, February 23, 2012

The MacKenzie Golf Bag Company

MacKenzie Golf Bags 
or 
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"


To some starting with the golf bag might seem strange. But this only points to the esteem I have for MacKenzie Golf Bags. Better said, my MacKenzie Bag.

I came across MacKenzie completely by luck. When I was about 6-7 years old my late father wanted to do something special for a group of co-workers. An avid golfer and as infected with the golf bug as I grew to be, he ordered leather golf bags from Burton with the company logo on them. Turns out when he went to place the order, they were 1 bag shy of the minimum and guess who got the last bag.

I was so proud of this giant golf bag that weighed more than I did. Big black leather trimmed in gold (hey it was the early eighties) with fur lined pockets. This was back when Burton made bags here in the USA out of Jasper, AL.

That bag still sits in the corner of my office with my Dad's old Ping B61 in it. Side-note: my Dad trimmed the putter grip down on the bottom to slightly increase his "gimmie range". To know him was to love him.

Back to MacKenzie. As I said random, one day while my old Burton caught my eye, I decided to check and see if anyone still made leather golf bags. First search result lead me to Mackenzie. 

Within 30 secs of seeing one, I was hooked. After 5 minutes I was leaving a message on their phone and within an hour I was speaking to the owner. Try that with a multinational golf equipment manufacturer. 

Todd explained the company and what all he could offer for a bag for me.

We had a game plan set out in 20 or 30 minutes. I told him I lived in North Carolina but was heading to his part of the world to go and play Chambers Bay with 23 of my closest friends.

He simply asked me when, and promised to have me my bag before my trip.

Sure the story is good, but the bag.........oh the bag is incredible. 

I went with a ballistic bag (budgetary restrictions), Navy with Navy leather accents. 2 pockets. My bag has small touches like my kids names inside the ball pocket.

It is simple, it is functional and it is one of a kind. One day I hope to grab another, this time in full leather.

It seems that very similar bags are starting to pop up a few other places. I really don't want to get into the debate on right or wrong. All I can say is MacKenzie's bags are worth every penny, and I plan on sticking with them.

MacKenzie golf bags are made to pass down, not throw away. That is at the very heart of what this site is about. 

Check them out: http://www.themackenziegolfbagcompany.com/ This will give you all you need to know about the bags. I can tell you from carrying mine for almost 2 years that all 14 clubs fit just fine, it is light and easy to carry for 18+ holes. Most caddies I have had like carrying my bag, although one down in South Carolina kept calling my bag Lieutenant Dan (no legs). My Ballistic bag is great in the rain and came with a hood.

Fairways and Greens my friends.

-BDL




No comments:

Post a Comment