Monday, February 27, 2012

Slighter Golf

I am a real putter junkie, as bad as it gets.

Tom Slighter at Slighter Golf offers custom, one of a kind putters made in Snohomish, WA.  

Side note, why is all the cool golf stuff made in the USA come out of the Pacific Northwest?

I asked Tom to make a putter for me a few years ago.  He was just great to work with and made sure he had every detail of what I wanted.  I went with his Portland model, 355 grams in stainless steel.  I had to add a little Tar Heel touch with the paint job.  You can see the result below, I think it speaks for itself.





The work was everything I wanted, and that is kinda the point with Tom and all the folks I hope to talk about here, you get to help in the design process.  The end result is always going to mean this thing, this inanimate object used to somehow help you get a little ball in a hole is somehow apart of you and versa.

I reached out to Tom just the other day and told him about this site and he was willing to do a little Q&A I would like to share.

Q&A:

First thank you for your time Tom.  We had the pleasure of working on a putter for me, a Stainless Steel Portland.  I would like to start by stating the whole experience was first class. 

Tom Slighter-Thanks so much Brandon. I enjoyed the process as well.  You are a pleasure to work with.

Can we start by asking if you would tell us all about the current putter you personally use when you hit the links?     

Tom Slighter- Sure.  I use the first Redmond I made.  My back up is the first Bellevue made. 

 You offer your putters in various metals.  Copper putters really seem to catch the eye.  Can you tell us your take on Carbon vs. Stainless vs. Copper?

Tom Slighter-  I believe the carbon steel putters have a softer feel than the stainless steel putters, but the carbon steel putters do require some maintenance.  The stainless steel putters have great feel, too and probably are the next closest in feel to the carbon steel putters.  The stainless steel putters do not require much maintenance because stainless steel will not rust.  Both the carbon steel putters and stainless steel putters serve a great purpose in their own way. Copper is extremely soft material. Softer material than both carbon and stainless. But I personally do not believe coppers offers as nice of feel to that of carbon.  Copper finishes beautifully and patinas to a nice antique finish.   

What is the oddest request you have ever had for a custom putter?

Tom Slighter-  No request is “odd” in my book.  I look at a request being a challenge rather than odd.  A challenge I currently am working on for a customer is a putter with multiple faces with different lofts and weight systems.  It is nearly complete.

One of the hot topics in golf right now is belly putters.  Do you have a side of the fence on third use for pros and or amateurs?  Do you get asked often to make bellies these days?

Tom Slighter- Lately, I have rec’d several requests for putters to be modified to belly putters. I am a fan of whatever works for the individual and will make every effort to accommodate an order or request. I personally do not believe it is my position to advised what is the best putter for any one individual, but rather be here and advise what is the best way to build the putter.

If you could only make one more putter, what would it be?

Tom Slighter-  I would use either carbon steel or stainless steel.  I enjoy milling carbon and stainless.  I enjoy welding on stainless.  Carbon in my opinion is probably the best for feel.

Curious about Tom's personal putters?  I was also, he was kind enough to send me these:









You can find Tom and his whole team at www.slightergolf.com/ where they offer over 16 models, as well as a full range of accessories.  




Fairways and Greens,

BDL

No comments:

Post a Comment